Top 10 Benefits
Why grow a forest garden of nuts, fruits, herbs, and mushrooms:
- Enjoy nutrient-dense food that is beyond organic
- Create a beautiful, bountiful landscape that feeds your body and spirit
- Succession planting breaks the continual labour of plowing, planting, nutrient inputs, and irrigation of domesticated annual vegetables
- Sun or shade, dry bluff or seasonal swamp, grow what naturally thrives
- Provides multiple harvests, is self-maintaining, and buffers against weather extremes
- The satisfaction knowing each year is easier and more abundant
- Increase your land value
- Regenerate our soil and ecosystem's services
- Food and income security in an uncertain climate
- Invest in an inspirational legacy for future generations
Maybe that sounds like your paradise... pure, healthy, forever fruitful, self-renewing, and thrives naturally in your landscape.
EDEN is the harmony of drawing upon the wisdom of wild nature with the efficient design of human-scale agriculture:
|ecosystem||late-succession mature forests||orchard, berry patch, herb garden, and mushroom patch all in one
||lawn, annual row crops, ornamentals in early succession perpetuity|
|typical crops||some wild foods||abundant and diverse perennial harvests of gourmet nuts, fruits, herbs, mushrooms||abundant annual vegetables if at all|
|needs||minimal||naturally adapted to your landscape, requires timely attention
||high disturbance environment to maintain: full sun, consistent moisture, heavy feeding, and constant attention, highly susceptible to weeds, infestations, soil erosion, and nutrient leaching|
|productivity||low and slow to produce but nutrient-dense, high ecological productivity||slow but increasingly higher and more nutrient-dense||high and fast|
|design||complex by nature||complex by design||simple|
The verdict? Your own Eden is designed to provide the best of nature for your family.
As the Chinese proverb goes, "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now."